The indispensable first step to getting the things you want out of life is this: decide what you want.” – Ben Stein
- What do you want to accomplish?
- What do you want to experience?
- What possessions do you want to acquire?
- What does success look like to you?
You cannot get what you want until you know what you are working for!
Think of driving: You start somewhere in California and head west. How and when will you know you arrived at your destination unless you picked a specific location you are driving too?
Early childhood programming often gets in the way of what you want.” – The Success Principles
Growing up we all heard:
- Don’t touch that
- Stay away from there
- Keeps your hands off that
- You don’t really feel that way
- You don’t really want that
- You should be ashamed of yourself
Do not live the dreams of someone else:
Make an “I Want” List
- 30 things you want to do
- 30 things you want to have
- 30 things you want to be
Have a friend ask “What do you want?” for 20 minutes while you do this. Then switch so they get a chance!
Also make a list of 30 things you love to do!
Why So Many?
- The first few in each list will come easy
- As you go along, you will need to dig down deep to get at the answers of what you truly want
- They will be your true expressions of your values
In The Success Principles clarifying your visions of your ideal life means you need to know:
- Where you are in life right now
- Where you want to get to
What does your destination look like?
- Recreation/Free Time
- Health & Fitness
- Personal Goals
- Contribution to the Community
Where is “there” when you say, “I can’t wait to get there”?
SUCCESS TIP: You have to know where you want to go!
Simply decide where you want to go by:
- Clarifying your vision
- Kick starting your unconscious to work 24/7
As you take active steps to get “there”:
- Your exact steps on what to do next will unfold as you go
- First thing first, you need to take that first step
- Keep your mind focused on your destination
- Sometimes you will not know what to do next until that exact moment shows up
The danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it.” – Michelangelo
No matter what you think or dream, the amount of energy you exert is the same. It takes you the same amount of energy to tell yourself you can’t do something versus dreaming of living a $500 million a year life style.
Which one do you think is more fun and beneficial?
Super achievers dream bigger than the average joe:
- John F. Kennedy
- Put a man on the moon
- Martin Luther King Jr.
- Country free of prejudice and injustice
- Bill Gates
- Computer in every home connected to the internet
- Buckminster Fuller
- Every has access to electrical power
What would our life be without dreams?
If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise.” – Robert Fritz
“Do not let anyone talk you out of your vision.” – The Success Principles